Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Art in Albany, NY

I took a walk through Albany, NY a couple of weeks ago and went to the Albany Center Gallery. I had been wanting to go for a while. I had been close with founder Leslie Urbach years ago, a dynamic and creative forward-thinker.
There was a great exhibit of works by Ben Schwab and Blake Shirley, huge towering works with lineal fascination and watery, juicy, color filled with a depth of perception. Besides the two staff that were quietly speaking in hushed tones and me, the gallery was empty, and I had the rare opportunity of taking the art in without interruption or distraction. It was like a fine meal from a five-star restaurant. I left satisfied and pleased.

I was not prepared for the "dessert" once outside. I crossed the street and saw a "something white that doesn't seem to belong there". Upon further inspection I deduced it to be a porcelainesque squatting pitcher (sculpture by Amy Podmore), almost human-sized, yes, you heard me right... and

when I looked up, saw the cups as big as my head waiting at the ready to be filled at unreachable heights interspersed in the trees.

It reminded me of life and all those difficult tasks to take on, and yet , being only ONE pitcher!

I hope to share more as I get time.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment